Labels

celebrities (6) growth (6) culture (5) entertainment (5) soca (5) student (5) Jamaica (4) blessings (3) goals (3) LOL (2) aging (2) birthdays (1) bisexual (1) feminism (1) friends (1) gender (1) test (1)

Friday 3 January 2014

2014 Anno Domini



In all my years of knowing myself…

In all my years of social media junkie-isim…

NOT ONCE have I ever made and/ posted a grand sweeping New Years declaration.


 It’s not quite my style.  Mostly though, I never wanted the responsibility of holding myself accountable to myself. I never wanted to have to come to terms with the potential disappointment, of having to admit personal failure. I never wanted to step outside my comfort zone. I preferred to just exist, to just go with the flow. The results were relatively un-taxing, which is good, but the problem is you can never achieve greatness from doing nothing.





I continued in this manner for much of my twenties until one day I simply ‘woke up’. I had to admit to myself that the place that I was at is not where I envisioned I’d be at that stage in the game.
 


I’ve seen a fair amount of disdain sent the way of grandiose New Year’s resolutions; honestly I don’t share that attitude. Life has taught me that sometimes you need that special someone or something to give you that solid kick in the butt, the kind of kick that leaves you feeling its effects days, weeks and months later.
 


 A wake up call. For some people the strike of the clock at midnight on Dec 31st represents just that.  If that’s the case for you, then I have nothing but respect for you. For me, my wake up call came circa 2012. I’ve found my passion. I’ve set my goals. I’m working ardently to ensure that I see my goals to fruition. I’m motivated and poised to reap the rewards.



I have no idea what 2014 has in store for me. In the words of Andre 300 ‘you can plan a pretty picnic but you can’t predict the weather’.  However I rest assured that I’ll spend every moment making the year of my big 3-0 count.
 

 
I thank you for starting this blogging journey with me and I wish you all the blessings you crave for 2014 and beyond!

1 comment:

Jeanne Melanson said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog and wish you all the very best in 2014. May all your dreams and goals be accomplished. Peace!