Labels

celebrities (6) growth (6) culture (5) entertainment (5) soca (5) student (5) Jamaica (4) blessings (3) goals (3) LOL (2) aging (2) birthdays (1) bisexual (1) feminism (1) friends (1) gender (1) test (1)

Friday 4 October 2013

Hello October



As much as I hate the fact that I’m about to fall over the edge of the calendar and into the deep abyss that is thirty; October always gives me the warm and fuzzies. It’s kind of hard to be a Grinch when the universe in all its infinite wisdom has given me a license to celebrate my sheer awesomeness and bless the world with my diva-ocity for at least one more year.



Birthdays have always been a big deal for me. As far back as I remember my self professed ‘mother type creature’ (DO NOT ASK) made sure that I knew the gift of my life was nothing short of special. It’s not that she failed to show me love all the other days of the year, but that one special October day was all about Crissy. 

My childhood birthday memories are of being enclosed in her warm embrace and listening to her not so melodious voice singing ‘Rise and Shine’. My bed was littered with boxes lovingly wrapped in shiny gift wrap paper and big floppy bows.

Now that I’m almost ancient,  my Mother may not pull out all the stops but I still have the sureity of her love…and yes I’m still spoilt. For my twenty something or the othered birthday I woke up to fried sausage, french toast and fruit salad IN BED!

I've got so many beautiful friendships that add so much value to my life. They never fall short of making my day full of bliss. From my Honey Bunches who has anxiety attacks leading up to the big day, to my Nadi Boo who puts up with the Diva and is always ready to buss a lime, even those who take the time out to wish me Happy Birthday on facebook.  I don’t mean the ‘HBD’ type posts, I mean the ones that make you stop in your tracks and feel all tingly inside.

There is one person who tops the list. Last year he came over at the crack of dawn (read 9:00 a.m.) with a bottle of Syfo and a plastic bag with a small package that he had wrapped himself totting a card that said ‘You make me crazy but I love it.’ Errrmmmm ok, not too sure what to sure how to take that but I love you too.



When I opened the gift it was a Meade notepad that said writing tablet on it.

HA-HA-HA funny. I get it. A play on words because I like words and I want a tablet. Don’t worry; I didn't throw a hissy fit. The gift came with a promise for the future and in that I found contentment, as well as a few giggles at the gift bearer’s ingenuity.

Imagine then, my wide eyed wonder when I threw a leg over the edge of the bed and my size 11 hooves kicked something. A big ole box in more purple wrapping paper! Like a toddler on Christmas morning I hurriedly ripped off all the paper. What’s inside? What’s inside?! My heart raced faster than my nimble fingers could tear. At last, it was open. Packing peanuts. Fwahhh?!!! Dude. Seriously. I’m not playing! Look again he says. Another box.  Smaller this time, with hand drawn smileys in fluorescent ink and endearing personal messages. Awwwwwwww.

I took my time this time around. Patience yielded the reward of a Kindle Fire HD, complete with all the accessories. I don’t know how he got me to stop saying thank you. I would have been satisfied with the Syfo and the Meade writing tablet. 

Truth is, the best gift of all is truly the love, effort, time spent, indulgence and memories that are created. That’s what October represents to me. Joie de vivre and a chance to celebrate life with those who make it worth living.
Happy October guys!

P.S October 25th Bitchez!!!!
P.P.S  Here are a couple of shots from birthdays past.

21st


26th


We stop counting here ok?


Last year ( PURPLEEEEEE) *sprinkles October fairy dust*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The p.s though.......LOL...October 25th bitchezzzzz!!! will forever be call before the party starts.

Nadi boo

nIx said...

Look at the innocence at 20 and the maturity a few years later :-)